I’m a sensitive person (I’m going to have to ask my family to kindly not comment on this sentence). Accordingly, reading hateful comments about Islam and Nabi (S.A.W) leaves me with that feeling you get just before you’re about to cry which means I’m sitting there, staring at the laptop screen and internally sassing said incorrect commenter even though I really am about to cry.
I would do more, but Allah says, “Hold onto forgiveness, command what is right but turn away from the ignorant”. Don’t converse with them because they want to confuse us. Alternatively, if we are confident in our ability to respond, our response should be said politely; with respect and dignity. By replying to insults with insults we are showcasing our Deen in a negative light. Allah also says, “And when they hear vain talk, they turn away therefrom and say: ‘To us our deeds, and to you yours; peace be to you: we seek not the ignorant.’”
C’mon, they’re foolish. Their mental capacity is diminutive; clearly evident in how gullible they are. Somebody needs to tell them about Google.
Here’s an example: There’s this website that declares that Islam permits lying (full stop), thereby making Muslims a supporter of immoral behaviour. Now, this specifically caught my attention because #1- They quoted the Hadith Source [(Sahih Muslim 6303, Bukhari 49:857)], #2- I have a friend that used to silence our teasing by saying “The curse of Allah is on those who lie” and #3- My momma didn’t put chillies in our mouth for nothing. So, you know, this was my turf. I opened Google. I literally COPIED AND PASTED ‘Sahih Muslim 6303’ and hey, there’s the Hadith!
Umm Kulthum bint ‘Uqbah (R.A) narrates that she heard Nabi (S.A.W) say that He is not a liar who reconciles between people, saying good things or He who says something at the time of War or He who is talking to his wife (or a woman to her husband).
I rest my case. (Is it only amazing to me how blatantly they misquoted, though?!)
I don’t even know if I should start on the ISIS topic, truly. ISIS is not affiliated with Islam, as we’ve been saying since the beginning. No matter, MUSLIMS=TERRORISTS. The only thing we have that’ll blow them away is our wit, smh. What’s their solution? Kill them all. Great, that’s not terrorism at all. I took Business Studies; I know a bulletproof (PUN ALERT!) Plan-Of-Action when I hear it and that ain’t it. *shots fired* (I really just put that in for pun benefits).
Then there are the Anti-Islam acts of ~generally~ violence. At last count (March 2016), there have been ±70 reported incidents in America, since the Paris attacks in November 2015. Where’s the line? http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/12/01/3726648/islamophobia-since-paris/
[Taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/muslims-are-not-terrorist_b_8718000.html in riposte to statements that Muslims are terrorists]
- Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in the United States: According to the FBI, 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the United States from 1980 to 2005 have been by non-Muslims. This means that an American terrorist suspect is over nine times more likely to be a non-Muslim than a Muslim. According to this same report, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism in the United States than Islamic, yet when was the last time we heard about the threat of Jewish terrorism in the media? For the same exact reasons that we cannot blame the entire religion of Judaism or Christianity for the violent actions of those carrying out crimes under the names of these religions, we have absolutely no justifiable grounds to blame Muslims for terrorism.
- Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in Europe: There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Take a guess at what percent of those terrorists were Muslim. Wrong, now guess again. It’s less than 2%.
- Even if all terrorist attacks were carried out by Muslims, you still could not associate terrorism with Islam: There have been 140,000 terror attacks committed worldwide since 1970. Even if Muslims carried out all of these attacks (which is an absurd assumption given the fact mentioned in my first point), those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009% of all Muslims. To put things into perspective, this means that you are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same timespan.
- If all Muslims are terrorists, then all Muslims are peacemakers: The same statistical assumptions being used to falsely portray Muslims as violent people can be used more accurately to portray Muslims as peaceful people. If all Muslims are terrorists because a single digit percentage of terrorists happen to be Muslim, then all Muslims are peacemakers because 5 out of the past 12 Nobel Peace Prize winners (42%) have been Muslims.
- If you are scared of Muslims then you should also be scared of household furniture and toddlers: A study carried out by the University of North Carolina showed that less than 0.0002% of Americans killed since 9/11 were killed by Muslims. (Ironically, this study was done in Chapel Hill: the same place where a Caucasian non-Muslim killed three innocent Muslims as the mainstream media brushed this terrorist attack off as a parking dispute). Based on these numbers, and those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the average American is more likely to be crushed to death by their couch or television than they are to be killed by a Muslim. As a matter of fact, Americans were more likely to be killed by a toddler in 2013 than they were by a so-called “Muslim terrorist”.
I know it’s an extra-long post, but blame it on me getting sent an article which had hate-speech towards Muslims (S, it’s all on you!). I tried to make it short; I really did … aand I’m making it longer by adding in these bits so I’m going to stop now. Hey, Alhamdulillah for being Muslim yeah?
Remember, you take one step towards Allah, Allah takes ten steps towards you.
May Allah protect us all and grant us the ability to overcome our Nafs.
Love and Duas,